Trail of Mentoring




Pictures: featuring Ignite Conference 2008, at Heart of God church. Worship Leader: Ps Andrew (Cornerstone), co-leaders: Rachel (Emmanuel AG?), Jocelyn (Grace Methodist Church) and other young people from different churches in Singapore.
------------------------------------------------------------
haha.. when I think of this word 'trail', i think of residue left behind when a cup of coffee is stirred. Some how, mentoring is like that isn't it? Some one who inpires you imparts in your life and your emotions and thoughts get stirred by everything he says. He leaves a residue in your life, the solid pieces that chrystalises when particles come together.
Today was the first official mentoring session with PGL.
Was suppose to go to Boscombe Life Church with him in the afternoon but couldn't because I was still stuck in the HOD meeting in church. So I met him at Singpost. I arrived before him. That was good as I could enjoy my warm cup of Cafe Mocha to give me a quick boost of energy to last the night.
So as you see the pictures above, we went for the ignite conference in Heart of God church, launching for the first time in Singapore, the movement of NewGen from Sweden. (you can google 'NewGen' for more info)
<--Ignite is a network of local youth ministries who meet regularly for the development and exhortation of young believers. Simply put, Ignite is all about God and young people.--> as quoted from the Heart of God website.
These are the reflections from the conference:
1) I saw a vision of multiplication in our youth ministry. It flows from the leadership team, to the east and west cells, to the rest of the market place. Basically what I gathered from the vision was that we are to empower our young people, using cell as a platform, to claim their friends and schools for Jesus! Isn't that powerful! I believe that local missions are what we should begin with before we even think of going overseas! It is a very powerful vision that will take a few years to see it come to fruition. But what we must do now, is to ask the Lord to give us a burden for our schools. As cell becomes a springboard for multiplication and growth to take place, let's believe god for a great harvest. If He can do exceedingly, abundantly, above and beyond what we can think of, that the sky's the limit! Amen!
2) I was reflecting upon the culture in HOG. The people would say "wow!" "Yar!" "that's right!" "Whoa!" "Yes!" and the list goes on... They not only say it to agree with the preacher, but they say it in every sentence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could hardly concentrate on what the preacher is saying becauseI was being swayed by their voices into agreeing with whatever the preacher was saying that I did not have time to process in my mind.
3) I was challenged at what the preacher shared. He shared about the temple in Jerusalem, contrasting it with us as the New Testament temple. Besides the characteristics of being available and strong intercession, he mentioned that we must be holy. I wonder how many young people actually pondered about what he said before going "oh.... yes!" Holiness is a high price. It is so many things. It is not giving into temptation first and foremost. It is maintaining a spiritual standard and not compromising with the world. The preacher passed this statement. "Many people think that we have to dress and act like the world in order to be like them. But then, how are they going to be like us?" It's true. Some questions in my head arise when I think about this holiness thing. Are you willing to be different from the rest of your friends? Even when some of them turn against you because you want to be set apart and don't want to engage in the activities they engage in? I struggle to be holy everyday and sometimes, you set double standards when being pressured. It is a high calling, but it's everybody's calling.
4) Lastly, I want to priase God for the many friendships I made through Pastor Glenn. Thank you Ps Seow How (HOG SP) for sharing your 5 cents worth with me! I will learn to discover my leadership style and maybe you could advise me more when we meet again! Thank you Ps Christian (HOG) for your kind hospitality and openness to network with me and teach me all about campus ministry in the local context! Thank you Ps Adrian (Centre of New Life) for your friendship. Hope to have more chances of working together in the future! Thank you Ps Mark Poh (Emmanuel AG) for extending your friendship to me too! I have so much to learn from you and I would love to drop by one day to learn from you and your team! Thank you Ps Andrew (Cornerstone) for your ministry and awesome worship. I've seen you many years back during FIRE conference and you have left a deep impression in my mind. I have been richly blessed by you. Look forward to greater opportunities to catch up! Thank you Rachel! I'm inspired by your cheerfulness and the short conversation that we had. Would love to hear more from you and spend more time to get to know your ministry more! Thanks to the many many more people who give is paving the way for young ministers like me, setting the example and imparting your wisdom to us. I am eternally grateful, especially to PGL. My cup has runneth over with so much more than I expected to achieve!
------------------------------------------------------------------
Lord, bless Singapore! May the country and government turn to you!







No comments:
Post a Comment