Teaching
“While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.”
Found this quote online. It reflects what I've been thinking about.
When I started teaching Evergreen Secondary School 2 weeks back, I thought that this is it. I'm never gonna teach again. I was about to cry in the middle of one of my classes. In another, I find myself struggling to stay while I kept feeling like walking out on them.
I keep telling myself, if I walk out on them, I'm not only telling them that I'm giving up on them, but I'm also showing them that I'm giving up on myself.
I persevered till my last class but I left the school feeling like crap. I had alot on my mind.
Last Friday, I taught at Woodlands Primary. It was one of my best classes :) Today, I went to CHIJ TPY Primary and Telok Kurau Primary. I could see the difference in the type of students. I guess nurture does play a part in a child's growth more than nature. I did enjoy both of the lessons nevertheless and I'll be going back on Wednesday.
I guess, the more I teach, the more I begin to learn about myself - my tolerance level, what makes me lose my cool, etc. I also put what I've gained from Glenn's workshops into good use. Strengths Approach, EAR and other frameworks. I must say, I'm beginning to understand how teachers turn skeptical after teaching for too long. They develop a mindset that the students cannot be helped. And that's really bad. They might have started out with a passion for teaching but as months go by, that passion turns into rage.
I must challenge myself to keep pressing on. I've been talking to friends in sec schools to listen to their perspective about teachers. What makes them pay attention during lesson, or what makes them like the teacher, etc. I firmly believe that it's the teacher's responsibility to interest the student in the subject and not expect the student to be engaged automatically.
I hope to be a good teacher one day - to inspire my students to be the best that they can be :)
Here's a short clip of the Hoedown Throwdown I did with CHIJ TPY Primary today. Enjoy.




No comments:
Post a Comment