Visit My Other Blog!

a creation of Cheryl & Deniece

pics-talk.blogspot.com

My life :)

ShoutBox!


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix

Desert Song

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” -Shakespeare

Monday, July 23, 2007

Taming The Tongue

Recently,

many people , sermons, mentors, pastors have been speaking to me and the recurrent message is always about using and choosing words carefully.

today's devotion also talks about it and i like how Eugene Peterson puts it..

James 3
A word out of your mouth may seem of no account, but it can accomplish nearly anything—or
destroy it! It only takes a spark, remember, to set off a forest fi re. A careless or wrongly placed word out of your mouth can do that. By our speech we can ruin the world, turn harmony to chaos, throw mud on a reputation, send the whole world up in smoke and go up in smoke with it, smoke right from the pit of hell. This is scary: You can tame a tiger, but you can’t tame a tongue—it’s never been done. The tongue runs wild, a wanton killer. With our tongues we bless
God our Father; with the same tongues we curse the very men and women he made in his image. Curses and blessings out of the same mouth! My friends, this can’t go on.
[THE MESSAGE]

Even in my reflection paper in school, I had to reflect about this verse in Ps 141 that talks about our words......

"I need to work on my speech and the choice of words I use when speaking to people. I used to have this problem all the time because I would add in a swear word to my every sentence. Now, although most of the time those words are non-existent in my vocabulary, I still tend to hurt others with my words. This happens whenever I get too excited and carried away in my ecstasy because then I do not guard my mouth and process my thoughts before it comes out. It naturally comes out blatantly. I struggle very much in this area especially because the higher you go in leadership, you need to be more people-oriented and you need to meet more people hence you’ll probably have to talk very often and if my words are not full of grace and seasoned with salt then I don’t think I’ll get very far with my relationship with people. I think people will be turned off rather than attracted."

Surely... God is speaking..

But it's time to listen and respond...

I pray that I will be more careful with my words, choosing to say only what is necessary and thinking through what I say both in private and public, remembering what I say so that I will be able to give an account of it when I am being questioned.

I apologize sincerely if I have hurt anyone with my folly and foolishness. I need to make right not only here but personally too. I ask for your forgiveness.

It's time to battle.

No comments:

My PrOFiLe

My photo
There is only one devotion, to God. My belief, strong and unmovable. I believe in God, the only creator of the universe, the only creator of you and me. Through God, all things hold together. But the Godhead does not only consist of one person, he shares a divine relationship with His son, Jesus Christ, whom he sent to die for us and His Spirit, who is the paraclete to all mankind. If there's one thing i want to share with everyone i know, that is the good news. Christ did it, we receive it. There is nothing greater in this world than knowing his love for us. My mission: Making-a-Difference-1-on-1

MaKinG a DiFfeReNcE 1-on-1

It's simple. One life, lay it down for another. Keep it going.