Dying to a vision.
"You're not prepared to make sacrifices."
We spent a few hours talking about serious stuff yesterday. Well, it was about my life plans. Suddenly, the girl I once was - full of hope, full of purpose, full of vision - disappeared. I don't know where to go.
Half-way through the conversation, I brought up the topic of marriage. I think I shouldn't have. I don't know why I did. That's when he said, "you're not prepared to make sacrifices." I'm not putting this into context. But anyway, I've removed my 5 year goal under my 'updates' section. We're putting off marriage plans till he gets his degree which could be in 4-8 years time. He says, if we can get married in 6 years, we'd b very lucky.
Sigh. It's not that I really want to get married. I mean, I'm really content with the way things are. Maybe marriage might screw things up. I don't know. I just want to have a good attitude towards this whole issue. The last thing I want is to pressurize him into it. It's a big decision we have to make and I'm not sure I'm even prepared for it, or whether I'll be ready 10 years down the road. I guess, education and career seem to matter now. Without a degree, I won't be able to do alot of things. And if I don't start thinking about my career paths, I'm going to be headed no where. I pray that when school starts, I'll at least be more certain about all these stuff.
Sometimes, you gotta make sacrifices. As PGL put it this week, "There is no victory without sacrifice."
We'll be taking the next few years to stabilize ourselves in the two areas. We both want to be financially stable before rushing into something we're not prepared for.
THE VISION SHALL BE REVIVED SOME DAY IN THE FUTURE...




1 comment:
hey deniece, i'm not sure if i'm in the position to say anything about marriage now, since i'm clearly quite far away from it. But i once learnt from someone wise that you don't always need to have everything "settled" before getting married. I used to think you need enough money to buy a HDB flat and pay for the wedding and the bills and all that before you can even consider marriage. But it's so much more than that, isn't it? so much more than just the practicalities. It's such a huge responsibility, and a big step, but--it shouldn't be solely based on whether career and studies are settled?
just my two cents worth :)
Post a Comment